Setting the table perfectly used to be common knowledge. However, it has changed into a party trick in the fast and busy world that we live in today. Whether it is a luncheon, a family dinner or any other important occasion where you will be showing off your culinary skills and culinary treats, setting your table perfectly just enhances the look and feel of the occasion. It also makes your guests feel special.
Don’t know how to set your table perfectly?
We’ve got you covered.
Setting the Table
A Google search for ‘table setting’ yields more than a dozen formations, many replete with glasses for every imaginable drink and antiquated seafood forks. There are plates of every size related to different types of place settings, from casual dinners to formal ones, However, once you know where everything goes, you can add your own bit of creativity and mix and match here and there.
Table Setting for Everyday Dinner
- Lay out your placemat.
- The dinner plate goes in the center of the mat.
- The fork is placed on the left side of the dinner plate.
- The knife goes to the right side of the plate and the spoon is placed on the right side of the knife.
- Place the water glass above the knife, on the right side of the plate.
- Place the napkin beneath the fork or on the top of the dinner plate.
Table Setting for a Casual Meal
- Lay out the placemat neatly on the table.
- Place the dinner plate in the center. Set the salad plate on top of the dinner plate if you are serving salad.
- The salad fork goes to the left side of the dinner fork, which goes on the left side of the plate.
- Place the knife towards the right of the plate and the dinner spoon to the right of the knife.
- Water glass goes above the knie in the top right corner. The wineglass should be placed right of the water glass.
- Napkins go under the fork or on the plates.
Table Setting for a Formal Event
- Begin with a crisp tablecloth laid on your dining table.
- The dinner plate is placed in the center of the setting.
- Place the salad plate on top of the dinner plate.
- Place the bread plate above and to the left of the salad and dinner plate. Place the butter knife horizontally on the bread plate.
- Place the dinner fork to the left of your salad and dinner plate. The salad fork goes to the left of the dinner fork.
- Place the dessert spoon above the dinner plate horizontally.
- Wine and water glasses go on the upper right corner of the plates. Keep the water glass closest to the guests and the wineglass next to it.
- Fold the napkin neatly and place it on top of the salad plate. You may also use a chic napkin ring to add more finesse to the setting.
Show off your culinary skills and impress your guests with your culinary treats and a perfectly set table.